After the release of the data usage policy by WhatsApp, millions of people in the world began to feel uncomfortable using the Facebook-owned application. As a result, competing applications such as Signal and Telegram have made a fortune, millions of users are said to have flooded the two applications.
Well, for those of you who are curious about Signal and plan to use this application, here is a complete tutorial on how to use Signal and some important things you need to know first.
How to use Signal: Everything you need to know
How to Register Signal
- First, download the Signal app from the Play Store.
- Run Signal, then tap the Continue button.
- Then a request for access to some functions will appear, just tap Continue and Allow.
- Enter your active mobile number.
- Enter the code sent to the message.
- Then create a profile consisting of your first and last name.
- Finally, you will be asked to create a PIN for second-layer security.
At this point, you will then be taken to the main window which should still be empty because there hasn’t been any conversation.
Starting a Conversation on Signal
- Starting a conversation on Signal is very easy, start by tapping the pencil icon at the bottom right of your smartphone screen. Or, if you want to send a photo or video, you can start by tapping the camera icon in the same place.
- Next, select the contact you want to communicate with.
- Then you can have a conversation using text messages as you normally would on WhatsApp.
- In the conversation window, there are also several settings options, such as settings for automatically deleted messages (disappearing messages), media collections, conversation settings, search, reset, and turn off notification sounds.
Like WhatsApp, in Signal you can also set your profile to look attractive and complete so that others can find you perfectly, manage privacy, notifications, and so on.
To display the settings panel, tap the initial profile in the top left. Then, you will find a panel like this.
There are several things that can be done, including:
- Make Signal the default short message app.
- Set how notifications appear.
- Your account privacy settings.
- Chat, media backup, and account restoration settings.
- The display includes the selection of themes, colors, and so on. Everything related to the display can be arranged here.
- Storage to manage device storage.
- Linked Device is the settings panel if you want to connect to a PC or desktop.
- Then there is Advanced and also Donate to Signal if you want to play a role in developing this application.
Creating a Group on Signal
Creating a group on Signal is as easy as on WhatsApp, of course, there is no doubt about it. The steps are also very similar.
- In the main window, tap the three dots at the top right then tap New Group.
- Select the contact you want to invite to the group, then tap the arrow button below.
- Name your group and finally tap the Create button.
Done, the group was created successfully.
Making Voice and Video Calls
To make voice as well as video calls, you must first select a contact from your list.
Once the contact appears, just tap on it and later when the chat window is visible you’ll also find the voice and video call buttons at the top. Just tap which one you want to use.
Also Read: How to Open Someone WhatsApp in Your Phone
That’s how to use the Signal application using an Android smartphone. It’s easy and it turns out to be really similar to WhatsApp. Same features, same functionality, same way of working but Signal is said to be more secure than WhatsApp.