How to Make TikTok Safe for Kids? Nowadays, I see not only teenagers and adults who like to play TikTok. Children also seem used to opening this one application. Even children who have not yet entered elementary school age have often seen TikTok.
As a parent, if you see your child often playing TikTok, maybe you need to pay a little attention to what content appears on your child’s TikTok account. This is because even though there are many videos that are quite entertaining, until now there are still many videos that are inappropriate when viewed by children.
Try opening a child’s TikTok account from time to time and see what content appears on that account. Then, if you want, you can also limit the time you play TikTok and the content that appears on your child’s account in the way I discuss below.
How To Set Up Parental Controls On TikTok
Limiting TikTok Playtime
If your child plays TikTok too much, then you can limit it by activating the “Screen Time Management” feature. Through this feature, you can limit the use of the TikTok application from 40 minutes to 120 minutes per day.
If you have reached the specified time limit, TikTok will be locked and can only be unlocked with the password you used when activating the “Screen Time Management” feature.
The password will last for 30 days. So after 1 month, maybe you need to update the password.
To enable “Screen Time Management”, please follow these steps.
- Open the child’s TikTok application and tap the “Me” icon located at the bottom right.
- Tap the three-dot icon at the top right.
- On the “Settings and privacy” page, scroll down and tap “Digital Wellbeing”.
- On the “Digital Wellbeing” page, tap “Screen Time Management”.
- On the “Screen Time Management” page, scroll down and tap on “Set time limit”.
- Select the time duration you want. Then tap the “arrow” icon at the top left.
- You will return to the “Screen Time Management” page. There tap “Enable”.
- Enter a 4-digit code to activate “Screen Time Management”. After that, tap “Next”.
- Re-enter the code you entered earlier.
- Done. The time limit for playing TikTok has been activated.
Filtering Content with Restricted Mode
“Restricted Mode” can be activated to automatically filter or reduce the appearance of video content that is not suitable for children to consume, especially vulgar content that will certainly make us restless when children watch it.
Also, when “Restricted Mode” is on, TikTok will ask for a password every time a child wants to log out or change their TikTok account. So, children can’t just change their TikTok account with another account.
To activate “Restricted Mode”, try re-entering the “Digital Welfare” page by following the steps for limiting TikTok playing time above to step no 3. After that, follow the steps below.
- Tap “Restricted Mode”.
- On the “Restricted Mode” page, tap “Enable Restricted Mode”,
- Re-enter the code you created when enabling “Screen Time Management”. Then tap “Next”.
(If you haven’t activated “Screen Time Management”, then you can create a new code and confirm the code on the next page as done in steps no 8 and no 9 on how to limit playing time on TikTok above).
- You will return to the main page. There, there will be a text “Restricted mode” at the top of the video indicating that the mode has been activated.
Blocking TikTok Users
If after activating “Restricted Mode” you still find videos that you think are not suitable for children to watch, then you can block the creator of the video in the following way.
- Tap the “profile photo” of the Tiktok user you want to block. You can find it at the top right of the video.
- On the person’s “Profile” page, tap the three-dot icon at the top right.
- Tap “Block”.
- Tap “Confirm”.
- Done. The account has been successfully blocked. All content created by that account is gone and replaced with the text “This user has not published any videos”.
How to Make TikTok Safe for Kids With TikTok parental controls
If you feel that the above method is not effective enough to limit content on your child’s TikTok account, then you can use the “Family Pairing” feature which will make your TikTok account directly connected to your child’s TikTok account.
After you connect your child’s TikTok account and your TikTok account via “Family Pairing”, then you can activate the “Screen Time Management” and “Restricted Mode” features on your child’s smartphone via your smartphone.
When one of the two features is activated through the “Family Pairing” feature, the child will not be able to remove or change the TikTok account on their smartphone. There is not even an option to log out using a password as can be found if we enable “Restricted Mode” without using “Family Pairing”.
As for the “Screen Time Management” feature itself, you don’t need to create a password again because the password to open TikTok after the time limit expires will be generated automatically by TikTok.
In addition, when children open the “Settings and Privacy” page of their TikTok account, they will not find a “Digital Wellbeing” menu that can be used to access the “Screen Time Management” and “Restricted Mode” features. That way, the child will not be able to disable these two features.
To activate the “Family Pairing” feature, you need to connect your TikTok account with your child’s TikTok using the method I discuss below.
Step 1. Activate QR Code on Parents Smartphone
The first thing you need to do is activate the QR code from your TikTok account which will have to be scanned on your child’s TikTok account. The method is as follows.
- Open your TikTok, then tap “Me” at the bottom right.
- Tap the three-dot icon at the top right.
- Scroll down and tap “Family Engagement”.
- Tap “Continue”.
- Tap the “Parents” image then tap “Next”.
- A QR code will appear on the smartphone screen.
Step 2. Scan the QR code from your Tikton Kids account
After creating the QR code, open TikTok on the child’s smartphone and follow the steps on how to activate the QR code on the parent’s smartphone above until step no 4. After that, do the following steps.
- Select the “Kids” image, then tap “Next”.
- Tap “Scan code”. Then scan the code that appears on your smartphone screen earlier.
- If you have, then just tap “Link Account”.
- Tap “Link” in the menu that appears.
- Done, the account is successfully linked. On the child’s smartphone will appear a number of information about the features that can be activated. While on the parent’s smartphone it will display the linked account.
After doing the steps above, you can tap your child’s account name that appears on the “Family Engagement” page to enter the “Manage this account” page. There, you can activate the “Screen Time Management” and “Restricted Mode” features for your child’s TikTok account via your smartphone.
The method itself is not much different from how to limit children’s playing time and how to activate the limited mode that I discussed above. It’s just that, you don’t need to enter a password to activate these two features.
Besides that, there are several other settings that you can access, you can explore what you can do from your TikTok account on your cell phone.
Also Read: How to Use TikTok – Complete Beginners Guide
That’s How to Make TikTok Safe for Kids. Hopefully, by using the method above, you can reduce the negative content that can be seen by children on the TikTok application.
That’s it for this article. See you in another article.