Have you ever felt that the photo you wanted to upload to social media was too big? Or do you want your photo and image collection to be small in size so you don’t quickly consume the storage capacity you have?
If you answered two questions earlier, “Yes”, then you are in the right article. Why? Because on this, we will discuss how to make image size smaller.
It will also discuss about compress photos. This image compress allows photos or images to have a smaller file size but the quality does not decrease. Immediately, let’s look at the following discussion.
How to resize images on Android and PC
The first discussion is about how to make image size smaller? To answer this question, please refer to the following methods.
Using the Photos app
The first way to resize images resolution is to use a photo viewer app in Windows 10 called Photos. You can follow the steps below.
- Find the photo that you want to reduce the resolution to, then right-click on it.
- Select “Open with”, then select “Photos”.
- Next will open the photo viewer.
- Select the colon in the upper right corner.
- Select “Resize”
- Then you can select the option “Best profile pictures and thumbnail”. This option will make Photos resize automatically and all you have to do is save it.
- If you want to adjust the resolution, you can select the option “Define custom dimensions”.
- Next, you set the height and width or the height and width of your image.
- You can also disable the check mark in “maintain aspect ratio” for a freer resolution setting.
- Don’t forget to also set the photo quality in the “Quality” section.
- When finished, select “Save resized copy” You will also get a reduced resolution photo.
Also Read: How to Use TikTok – Complete Beginners Guide
Using the Paint Application
This application does not need to be installed because it is usually present in Windows 10, even older versions of Windows (7, 8, 8.1). To change the photo resolution in the paint application, please follow the steps below.
- Open the Paint application
- You can search for Paint by looking for it in the Windows search section.
- All you have to do is find the image you want to compress, which is stored in your folder.
- The trick is to click “File”, then select “Open”
- For example, I opened an image with a file size of 2 MP and a resolution of 5472 x 3648
- This image is a free-to-use copyright image I took from the Pexels website.
- Once open, if the image display is not visible, scroll the mouse plus ctrl alias zoom out so that the image display is smaller.
- After that, to make image smaller, select “Resize” whose position is at the top. Check its position as shown by the red arrow.
- Select the option “Pixels”, not “percentage”
- Enter the number of pixels that fit. I chose the number 1200 in the horizontal section.
- Automatically the vertical part will adjust the number according to size. The same is true when writing numbers in the vertical section.
- If you want the resolution at will, aka the horizontal and vertical numbers don’t want to adjust to each other, don’t check the “maintain aspect ratio” section.
- After unchecking it, you can freely fill in the horizontal and vertical sizes as you like.
- After selecting the correct number, click “OK”
- The image will appear to adjust according to the resolution. Just zoom in by pressing “scroll mouse” and “ctrl” simultaneously.
- After that, save the image by selecting “Save as”, then select the image format.
- I recommend choosing popular formats like JPEG and PNG.
- After saving, check the edited image by right-clicking on the file, then selecting “property” and selecting “details”
- It can be seen from the image above, that the photo has decreased in resolution.
Using the Paint 3D Application
The second way is to use the Paint 3D application. This application also comes with Windows. This application is similar to standard Paint, only it supports 3D images. I will give an example of changing the resolution of a photo or image to a small one using Paint 3D.
- The file to be compressed is an image file with a resolution of 6000 x 4000 pixels.
- Open the Paint 3D application. You can open it more easily by right-clicking the file, then selecting “Open with”. Next select “Paint 3D”
- After Paint 3D opens, select the option “Canvas”
- Later, resolution options will appear on the right.
- All you have to do is enter the size of the resolution you want to change.
- If you change the number “width”, the “height” will adjust the size. For example, when I input 1200 in width, the height will be 800.
- If you want to adjust the pixel number, at will, uncheck the “lock aspect ratio” section. For example, I input 1000 in the width, and 750 in the height.
- After that, select the “menu” option at the top.
- Then select the option “save as”, and select the “image”.
- You can then select the image format type. I still recommend saving the image in JPG format.
- You can then check the image in the “properties” section as previously described. For example the following picture.
- Note, the image resolution has changed. The image file size is also smaller.
Using Applications on Android
This method is a way to resize photos using an application on Android.
For this tutorial, we will explain the steps to reduce the size of a photo with an Android application called Photo & Picture Resizer. Here are the steps.
- First, download the Photo & Picture Resizer app on the Google Play Store.
- Open the application, then select a large size photo to shrink it by selecting “Select Photo”.
- An example is an image below which has a high resolution and a large file size, about 22 MB.
- After that, just select the Resize section in the bottom blue box.
- This application will display several sizes of lower resolution. You just have to choose the desired resolution
- If you want to be custom, you can simply select the custom part, either in the form of pixel size or percentage.
- If so, the application will immediately save the resized photo on your phone’s internal memory. Usually stored in the “Picture” section.
- You can also see the results of this process in the form of resolution and file size information. Like the example below, the file size of the image is now smaller.
- You can also choose the option to share the compressed image with various applications.
- Easy enough, right?
Using Online Services
Another way to change the size of a image to be small is to use an online service. There are many online services that provide tools to reduce the size of photos. One of them is Picresize. Please follow the steps below.
- You simply visit the Picresize.com site.
- After that, you will be given a screen like the image below.
- You can choose the option to upload an image from a computer or you can also copy the url of an image file on the internet.
- If the image is on the internet, you shouldn’t bother to download it first and then upload it again at Picresize.com. It’s a hassle, especially if the image has a large file size. Just select the option “From URL”.
- After that, select the option “Continue to edit images”.
- The Picresize site will display online tools services to reduce the size of the image.
- Please scroll or scroll down to find the resize option.
- Click on that section, you will be given the option to shrink the image by what percentage of the current size.
- For example, I chose to reduce the image resolution by 75% of the original image. Then scroll down until you find the option “I’m done, resize my image”
- After that, you just have to save your image by selecting the “Save to Disk” option.
- Oh well, you can also choose custom pixel size options. For example, I reduced the size of the photo with a numeric value as shown in the picture.
- After that, just select “I’m done, resize my image”
- You also have reduced the size of the photo properly.
How to Compress Image
After discussing how to make image size smaller, the next discussion is about how to compress image. This method is intended for those of you who need tools to reduce the size of the image without reducing its quality. Here are some ways you can do it.
Using the RIOT application
The first way is to use an application in Windows called RIOT. This application is a free image compress application. You can download this application on the official website.
- After downloading, then, install the application on your computer.
- Once installed, open the application, and select “Open” to open the image file to be compressed
- If the image size is too large, RIOT will tell you to lower the resolution a little. As happened with this 21 MB image.
- RIOT will display a simulated image that is compressed and it is recommended that quality is maintained.
- After that, check at the bottom, you can set the photo or image quality to the maximum.
- Select the option “compress to size”, enter the number in KB.
- I input the number 3000 Kb which means about under 3 MB.
- If you have clicked “OK” and RIOT will do the compress. The compressed time will not be too long.
- When finished, you can see the picture on the right complete with image size information.
- When finished, select the “Save” option at the top to save the compressed image to your computer.
- You are finished compressing the data.
Using the Photo Lit Application on Android
If you rely on an Android smartphone to compress image, you can use the Photo Lit app. This application is quite good and is not only useful for compressing photos but also for resizing photos. To use Lit Photo, please refer to the steps below.
- Download Lit Photo first on the Play Store, you can click here to download it.
- When finished downloading, open the Lit application.
- Next, select the option “Compress image”.
- Select the photos that you want to compress. An example is this image compress with a size of 21 MB.
- Once selected, select the checkmark at the top right.
- Furthermore, you can adjust the quality of the compressed image.
- There are also other settings such as choosing to enable “maintain resolution”.
- If so, then select “Start Compressing”
- The application will also work to compress images properly.
- You can also share the compression results in various other applications.
Using Online Services
Another way to compress image is to use the online service site iloveimg.com. This site can be relied on to compress photos. The steps for using this site are as follows.
- Open the iloveimg.com site to compress images.
- Then click “image options” to select an image from the computer. You can also drag images to this site directly.
- After that, select the option “Compress Image” at the bottom right.
- If the file size is large, the site will take time to upload or upload images. If you have fast internet, this step can be faster.
- Once uploaded, this site will immediately compress automatically.
- When finished, the site will automatically download the compressed file.
- For example, the file above, whose size is now 3 MP. Though the original size is 21 MB.
- Easy enough, right? Apart from iloveimg.com, there are other sites that offer image compression but this is the most reliable.
This is how to make image size smaller and compress image sizes. Hopefully, this information is helpful for those of you who want to reduce the file size of photos for various purposes. Good luck!