Have you never detected your flash drive when plugged into a laptop or computer USB port? You don’t need to panic your data and files will be lost. The reason is, How to Fix Unreadable USB Flash Drive very easily.
Flash drives themselves are often used for the needs of storing important files. The form of a flash drive that is small and easy to carry anywhere makes it a fairly popular storage device.
And when the flash drive is not detected, it might make some people worry that the files on it will disappear. You don’t need to worry about this, because you can fix it in the following ways.
How to fix a USB Flash Drive that is not Recognized
Check the USB Port
The first solution to dealing with an unreadable flash drive is to check the USB port used. Because of the possibility that the problem is from the USB port so that the installed flash drive cannot be detected.
To solve this problem, you can try plugging the flash disk into a USB port on another laptop. If the flash drive can be read on another laptop, it means that the problem comes from the USB port on the previous laptop.
USB port that does not work is usually caused by the condition of the USB port that has entered dust or is dirty so that it clogs the flash drive when it is inserted and makes it undetectable.
Reinstall USB Drivers
The USB driver is one of the important components so that the flash drive can be read on laptops and PCs. And if the USB driver has a problem, then the performance of the laptop or PC will affect when the flash drive is installed.
How to solve an unreadable flash:
- Attach the flash drive to the laptop first.
- Then right-click the Windows logo and select Device Manager.
- In Device Manager, click the Universal Serial Bus controllers option.
- Right-click the USB Mass Storage Device and select Uninstall Device.
- Restart the laptop and try your flash again.
By removing the driver, the driver will be removed from the laptop system. And when you reinstall the flash drive, the driver will reinstall like new.
How to Overcome Unreadable flash drive
Laptops with Windows operating systems have a feature of repairing damaged flash drives through scanning methods. With this feature, you can repair or resolve an error or damaged flash drive automatically.
Also Read: How to Fix Laptop Touchpad Not Working
This method is often used when the flash drive has a virus that makes it unusable. The following are the steps for scanning a flash:
Plug the flash drive into your laptop.
- Right-click the Windows logo then select Disk Management.
- Determine your flash disk, for example, located on disk (E).
- Then right-click the disk, select properties.
- Select the Tools menu tab then click the check button.
- The final step, click the scan and repair drive option.
After that, Windows will scan your flash drive thoroughly to fix it. When the process is complete, unplug the flash drive and try plugging it back in on your laptop or PC.
CMD or short for Command Prompt can also be used to solve the flash drive not being detected problem. But what you need to know, this method will erase all contents on the flash drive including the virus that caused it to error.
How to deal with an illegible flash drive with cmd:
- Insert the flash drive into your laptop or PC.
- Then press CTRL + R type CMD and then press Enter.
- Access your flash drive (for example the disc is on G, then issue the command g: in CMD).
- Then enter the command chkdsk / g in the CMD window.
- Type Y to agree to the next stage.
- After that type Y again to restart the device.
All files on the flash drive will be permanently deleted so that the virus that caused the error will also disappear. It’s easy, isn’t it?
Format Flash Drive With Disk Management
In addition to being able to scan and repair flash drives, Disk Management can also be used to format undetected flash drives. How to use it is also very easy, you only need to follow a few steps below.
- First, attach the flash drive to a PC or laptop.
- Then press the CTRL + R keys on the keyboard.
- Type compmgmt.msc in the Run column and then press Enter.
- Then click the Disk Management menu.
- Right-click on the flash disk drive and select the Format option.
- Just wait for the format process to finish.
Now any problems on the flash drive will be easily resolved. The reason is by doing the formatting, the flash drive will reset to the initial settings like new.
If the format process is quite complicated, then please try another flash drive format.
Also Read: How to Fix Copyright Problems on Instagram
Those are some solutions for How to Fix Unreadable USB Flash Drive on laptops and PC. And as a side note, make sure you always take care of the flash drive so you don’t run into problems and lose your important files.