Dark mode has now become one of the must-have features for every Android application. How not, with dark mode we can reduce the intensity of light from the screen so that the eyes don’t get tired easily.
The dark mode is usually used by users who are active at night, but it is possible that you have other reasons for using it.
Well, one of the applications made by Google, namely Gmail, also supports this dark mode feature. In fact, this feature has been around since last September 2019.
Even though it’s been around for a long time, it doesn’t matter if you’re still confused about how to enable dark mode in this Gmail app. Because below I will explain in detail so you can use it.
How to Turn on Gmail Dark Mode
Enabling Dark Mode in Gmail App
Before going any further, make sure you have the latest version of the Gmail app installed. So the look and layout is not much different. If so, just take a look at the following steps:
- Open the Gmail app and tap on the ‘three-line icon’ at the top left of the screen.
- Then, swipe down from the screen and press the ‘Settings’ menu.
- Next select the ‘General Settings’ option.
- On this general settings page, select the ‘Theme’ menu.
- Later a small pop-up will appear, here select the ‘Dark’ theme setting.
- Done. You have successfully enabled dark mode in the Gmail app. Here’s how it looks.
With dark mode, in addition to reducing the intensity of light to the eyes. We can also save cell phone batteries, especially for those of you who have a smartphone with an AMOLED screen.
Then what if you need to use a bright mode, for example, because we are in a room with a lot of light. You can turn off dark mode in the Gmail app by repeating the steps above.
Go to the ‘General Settings’ menu and select the ‘Theme’ menu as described previously. Then select the “Light” mode.
The theme in the Gmail app should return to the way it was.
Set Gmail to follow the phone’s dark mode system
If you don’t want to bother changing the dark mode in the Gmail app, you can just set it to be active according to the mode selected via the Android system settings, here’s a How to Enable Dark Mode guide.
- Go back to the ‘General Settings’ menu and press the ‘Theme’ menu.
- In the pop-up that appears, select the ‘System Default’ theme setting.
- If you can turn on dark mode via system settings, the Gmail application theme will change automatically.
Also Read: 3 Ways to Reset Forgotten Gmail Password
Hopefully, this explanation can help, if you still have questions, just write them down in the comments column below. Thank you.