The latest operating system from Microsoft, Windows 10, was officially released to the public some time ago. This operating system comes with a variety of significant changes that will make Windows 7 and Windows 8 users interested in using it.
Interestingly, Windows 10 can be downloaded and installed for free for users of Windows 7 or original Windows 8.1. This is certainly very encouraging because we no longer need to spend a lot of money to buy it.
Well, this time Weblogue will review how to download Windows 10 for free. But remember, this method only applies to those of you who are currently using genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and not pirated.
There are 3 ways that will be reviewed this time. For those of you who want to upgrade directly, please follow the first and second methods. Meanwhile, for those of you who want to save the installation file on a flash, DVD, or other media, please follow the third method.
How to Download Windows 10 for Free
Method 1: Make a Windows 10 Reservation
Reservations to get Windows 10 for free have been open since early June 2015 for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users. This reservation will bring up a notification with the Windows logo in the system tray located at the bottom right corner of your desktop.
In order to get this notification, make sure you are running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1 which has installed update KB3035583. Also, make sure your Windows update settings are set to automatically download and install updates.
If all these requirements are met, a Windows icon will automatically appear in the system tray. If you place the cursor on it, it will say “Get Windows 10”. To make a reservation, please follow the steps below:
- Click the Windows icon until a window appears explaining how to get Windows 10 for free.
- Click the “Reserve your free upgrade” button
- Fill in the email field with the email address that you have to get notifications about Windows 10.
- When finished, please close the window.
Now you just have to wait for Windows 10 to be ready to install on your laptop or PC. Downloading the installation file will be done “quietly” in the background as long as your computer is connected to the internet.
Once the installation file has downloaded, you will be notified when Windows 10 is ready to be installed on your computer. Please determine the right time to install it so as not to interfere with your work because it will take quite a lot of time.
If you change your mind and want to cancel a reservation that you have made, then you can also do so by following these steps:
- Click the Windows icon again in the system tray
- In the window that appears, click the three lines button in the upper left corner then select “View confirmation”
- Click the button “Cancel reservation”
- Close the window.
After following the steps above, the Windows 10 reservation process is automatically canceled. But you can also make a reservation again by following the previous steps.
Method 2: Download via Windows Update
The method above will indeed download Windows 10 automatically in the background, but we don’t know exactly when Windows 10 will be downloaded. So, if you can’t wait to download it, then you can try this second method.
This method will “force” Windows update to download Windows 10 directly. That way, you don’t have to wait long to taste it right away. Here’s how to download Windows 10 via Windows Update:
- Open the “C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution \ Download” folder, then delete all the files in it.
- Go to Control Panel> System and Security> Window Update. Leave the window open.
- Look for Command Prompt (CMD) on the start menu, right-click on the icon, then select “Run as Administrator”
- In CMD type “wuauclt.exe / update now” without the quotes and don’t press enter first.
- Move back to the Windows Update window, then click “Check for updates” in the right-hand column.
- Move back to the CMD window, please press enter.
Now you will see Windows Update is downloading Windows 10. The size is about 3 GB depending on the type of Windows 10 being downloaded. Please wait until the process is complete. After everything is downloaded, you can immediately install Windows 10.
Method 3: Download via Media Creation Tool
This last method will download Windows 10 using the official program from Microsoft called “Media Creation Tool”. The program will download various versions of Windows 10 directly from Microsoft servers.
The program can be used to upgrade directly or just to save the installation file. The installation file can then be used to install Windows 10 on other devices. Here are the steps:
- Download the Media Creation Tool here, please choose the version that suits your Windows architecture, whether it’s 32 bit or 64 bit.
- Once downloaded, please install and run the program.
- In the options that appear, please select “Upgrade this PC now” to upgrade directly, or “Create installation media for another PC” to save the installation file. In this example, we will choose the second option.
- Then select the language from the Windows 10 OS that you want to use.
- Below that also select the edition of Windows 10 that you want to use, whether Windows 10 Home, Home N, Home Single Language, Pro, or Pro N.
- Finally, select the architecture, whether 32 bit or 64 bit. When finished, click the Next button.
- Next, please select the file type you want to use, whether you want to save it in the form of an ISO file or on a USB flash drive. Once selected, click the Next button.
- The download will start immediately. Please wait a few moments until the process is complete.
When finished, the Windows 10 installation file will be immediately available on a flash drive or in the form of an ISO file depending on the options you choose. The installation file can be used directly to install Windows 10 on any PC provided you have the original Windows 7 & 8.1 or the original Windows 10 license.
For those of you who are confused about which edition of Windows 10 to use for your computer, here is a list of upgrade paths that have been determined by Microsoft:
- Windows 10 Home for Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 with Bing
- Windows 10 Pro for Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 8.1 Pro
So that’s how to download Windows 10 that you can do for free. After downloading it, you will now be able to start the installation process for the latest operating system from Microsoft.