Have you recently upgraded your computer but the drive on your system is immediately full? Usually, this is because the old OS is still stored. This article on How to Delete Windows old can be a solution to fix this.
Some people are often wrong in overcoming problems like this. They actually overcome this by deleting unnecessary data on the computer or uninstalling unused applications.
While doing so may leave a bit of space on the drive, it’s basically less effective. The reason is, the problem is the Windows old or Windows.old files that are still stored.
So, one of the best ways to solve this problem is by removing the windows old. But before moving on to how to do it, it’s good to know what windows old.
What Is Windows Old
Windows Old is a folder that contains old windows system files before you upgrade. Generally, this folder is deleted automatically after a while after you start using a new OS.
As is generally known, windows have a fairly large size. That’s why this windows old folder can make the drive on the system fill up fast.
Windows.old is created automatically when you have upgraded the system. Its purpose is to create a backup of the old system so that it can be used for a restoration if needed.
For example, if you are not satisfied with the performance of Windows 10 after being upgraded, then you can restore it or downgrade to the previous Windows using the help of this old windows folder.
So vice versa, if you feel at home with Windows performance after upgrading, then you can delete the windows Old folder which is still stored on the computer drive.
How to delete Windows.old from your PC
Delete old windows by direct delete, sometimes it doesn’t apply. So so that the windows old folder can be deleted, there are some special steps to do it.
But don’t worry because the method is quite easy to do. In fact, there are several different ways that can be alternative options.
Delete files from the windows old folder can be done in Windows 10, 8, and 7 permanently and is proven safe.
Disk Cleanup is a feature of Windows that functions to clean the drives on the computer. Generally, this feature is used to safely delete junk files including the old windows folder.
Here’s how to safely delete windows old:
- Open a file explorer on your laptop or PC.
- Then right-click the drive (C :).
- Then select the Properties option.
- Click the Disk Cleanup button.
- Then click Clean Up System Files.
- Check the Previous Windows Installations box then OK.
- Click Delete Files then select the Yes option to accept.
- After that, wait for the process to complete.
The length of time it takes to delete the old windows folder depends on its size. When it’s finished, don’t forget to restart your PC or laptop.
Command Prompt or often referred to as CMD is a program in windows that is capable of executing commands. You also delete windows old by giving this command in CMD.
How to Delete Windows old with cmd:
- Press Windows key + R then type CMD click OK.
- Then the CMD window will open.
- Type the command takeown / F C: Windows.old * / R / A
- Then press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- Then type cacls C: Windows.old. / T / grant administrators: F
- Hit the Enter key then type Y and hit Enter again.
- Next enter the command rmdir / S / Q C: Windows.old
- And press Enter to apply the command.
Now you just have to wait for the process to finish, and then restart your computer or laptop. Deleting the windows old folder using CMD can be a pretty good solution.
CCleaner is a popular and proven cleaning software for windows. CCleaner has a feature to delete windows old and its contents completely and permanently.
How to Delete Windows old with CCleaner:
- Run CCleaner on your PC or laptop.
- Then enter the Cleaner menu.
- Check the Windows Old Installation box.
- Usually, this option appears in the Advanced list section.
- Now click the Analyze button to start scanning.
- Then the size of the old windows folder will appear.
- Click the Run Cleaner button and wait for CCleaner to finish removing old windows from the PC.
Although CCleaner can be used free of charge, it provides significant benefits for PCs and laptops. Some people even consider this software a must-have for every computer.
So, those are How to Delete Windows.old Folder from Windows 10, 8, 7 safely.