Google Classroom is a solution for teachers and schools to run online learning activities. How to Create a Class in Google Classroom is very easy so that learning remains optimal even through virtual classes.
Google Classroom is a free web service developed since 2014. Through this service, Google wants to help schools simplify, create, distribute and grade paperless online assignments.
Along with the development of technology, this platform is also developed in an application version so that learning activities can be carried out via smartphones. As the Covid-19 pandemic has hit many countries around the world, more and more people are using Google Classroom.
The reason is that the pandemic has forced schools to change learning activities that were originally face-to-face in the school building to online, so Google Classroom has become the school’s favorite service.
Another reason why Google Classroom has become a favorite application is that the used method is quite practical and the creation of virtual classes on this platform is free. Teachers or schools do not need to spend money to create classes on the platform.
Advantages of Google Classroom
As we briefly explained above, Google Classroom has many advantages that are very useful for use during a pandemic that requires students to study online. Here are the advantages of Google Classroom:
Easy to use for beginners
The first advantage of this application is that it is very easy to use for beginners, and can be used anywhere, aka mobile. The classroom is designed with a simple interface but is supported by many features.
Also Read: How to Add New Place in Google Map
Easy to manage tasks
Besides being easy to use, Google Classroom also makes it easier for students when given assignments by teachers or class admins. Students will easily be able to see the page that provides the assignment page.
That way students don’t bother looking for assignments that have been given by the admin or teacher. The material provided is also automatically delivered to the student’s website and can also be received via email in various forms, ranging from written documents, photos, images, etc.
All files go to Google Drive
The next advantage is that all forms of files, be it mp4, mp3, doc, pdf, zip, automatically enter the user’s Google Drive account, so there is no need to look for other storage to save the files that we have uploaded.
The classroom will automatically sync between your Gmail account and the Google Classroom account that we have used. That way, users don’t have to worry about losing files or other documents, because everything is already stored in Google Drive.
Easily review assignments before sending
This feature allows students and teachers to review assignments before they are sent, so they can see what errors or omissions are still in the work to be submitted.
In addition, Google Classroom also provides a very easy and interesting task creation feature, so that students don’t get bored while doing assignments in Classroom, which is available on one page only.
Easy to see announcements
Students can easily see announcements that are delivered by their teachers in Google Classroom. Teachers can provide a lot of information to their students, be it attendance, assignments, student photos, or other important announcements.
Teachers will also find it easier to submit assignments on the Google Classroom page, without the hassle of sending announcements via online messages to students.
Google Classroom Features
Google Classroom has many conveniences because it integrates with other Google services, such as Google Drive, Google Docs, Sheets and Slides, and Gmail. In addition, Classroom has features that make it easier for teachers and students.
The Assignments feature allows admins and teachers to transfer ownership of a Google Classroom class to another teacher, without the need to create a new class. New class owners will automatically be able to get complete access to student work via Google Drive.
This feature allows teachers to easily use assessments that require high accuracy, for example, the use of decimals in their assessments. Assignments assessed by the teacher will be given comments so that students revise their assignments.
Google Classroom has a page for each student that displays all student work in the class. With this view, teachers and students can see the status of each assignment and can use filters to view any assignments, missing assignments, or assignments that have been graded and returned.
Through Classroom, teachers can arrange and organize classes based on the class criteria they have. For example, set the daily schedule, workload priorities.
This feature allows teachers to archive courses at the end of the semester or year. When a course is archived, it is removed from the homepage and placed in the Class Archives area to help teachers organize their current class.
This feature allows teachers and students to view part by part of the submitted work that contains the exact same or similar words from other sources to avoid plagiarism. Teachers can also view originality reports, to verify the academic integrity of student work.
This feature allows users to take photos and attach them to their tasks, share files from other apps, and supports offline access.
Unlike Google’s consumer services, Google Classroom, as part of G Suite for Education, does not display any advertisements in the interface for students, faculty, and teachers, and user data is not scanned or used for advertising purposes.
Announcements can be posted by teachers to student commentary channels that allow for two-way communication between teachers and students. Students can also post to Classroom on a limited basis, only limited to announcements by the teacher and can be moderated.
Also Read: How to Remove Google Account from your Phone
How to Create Your First Google Classroom
For those of you who don’t know how to create a class, this time we will show you How to Create a Class in Google Classroom. Let’s take a look at the following Google Classroom tutorial!
- First, open the classroom.google.com site or the Google Classroom application available on the Google PlayStore and then click Login.
- For those who have difficulty finding the site address, you can easily search for it on Google. After that, you can log in with your active Google account.
- After logging in, you will go to the Google Classroom page and then press the “+” sign at the top right of the screen. There are two menus, namely Join Class and Create Class. Select Create Class.
- Next, you have to fill in some information about your class. For example Class Name, Section, Subject, and Room. When finished, type the Create mark located at the bottom right side.
- The class is finished. Through Google Classroom you can invite students by giving the class code to the student.
How to Invite Students to Google Classroom
Here’s the Google Classroom guide for inviting students to class:
- Select the shared class.
- On the lower left side of the class title, click Class Code.
- Copy the Code and share it with students with a text message service.
How to Create Google Classroom Assignments
Here’s how to create an assignment in Google Classroom:
- Open the Classwork menu, select the button with the plus icon (+) click Create.
- Under the Create option, there will be another option, select Assignment to assign the task.
- Please fill out the form after selecting the option.
- Click the Paperclip icon at the bottom of the assignment form’s instruction field to attach an attachment.
- Click Create when you have filled in the required information.
- Clicking on Create will display a format that students can choose from to share and access.
- Also, fill out the form on the right side as needed, then click the down arrow next to the Tasks option in the upper right corner of the screen, and select the one you want.
- Selecting the Schedule action will bring up the task distribution time and date window. Then click Assign, then the assignment will be distributed to students according to the selected action.
How to Give Materials in Google Classroom
Here’s a Google Classroom tutorial to provide material:
- In the Classwork menu, click the plus icon (+) button and it says Create.
- Under the Create option, select Material to share the lesson material.
- Fill in the form after selecting an option.
- Click the Paperclip icon at the bottom of the course material description field to attach an attachment.
- Click Create when you have entered the required information.
How to View Submitted Assignments
- Click the Classwork menu, then select Assignments.
- Then the task details will appear, then click Submit.
- Then the answer data/file of students who have submitted assignments will come out.
- Click the file, and assign a grade to the assignment.
- If so, click the Restore button.
Well, that was a complete explanation of How to Create a Class in Google Classroom with its various features, and how to use it. You can try it right away, and stay healthy.