How to Backup and Restore WhatsApp Messages? Backing up WhatsApp chats is a mandatory step if you want to secure your chat history, whether personal or group, when something happens to your smartphone, for example, lost, damaged, or changing devices.
The chat data itself will be backed up to your Google Drive account, so as long as you still have access to the account, your WhatsApp chat data can be restored very easily.
How To Backup and Restore WhatsApp Chat History
How to Backup WhatsApp Chats
- Open the Settings menu – Chats.
- Then tap Chats Backup.
- In the Google Drive settings section, specify when the backup is performed, to which account, and via what.
- You can make the time daily, weekly, or monthly. Or you can also specify the backup is done manually by tapping the Backup Now button or not at all.
- Then the network to do the backup can also be determined, whether via Wifi or mobile data.
- After this setting is done, the system will perform a backup according to the instructions.
How to Restore Chats on WhatsApp
To perform a restore, we assume you have changed to a new smartphone or have just done a hard reset.
Then, you will go through phases like registering a new account again. Among others:
- Installing WhatsApp
- Verify the mobile number (the old number must still be active).
- Then for the backup process, you will usually be guided by the system. Because once the system reads the same number as the account in their database, WhatsApp will offer you a restore process.
- So, just tap the Restore button and let the system work to restore your WhatsApp chats that have been backed up to your Google Drive account.
- While the restore process is in progress, you can change the name and make other adjustments.