There are many keys on the keyboard that we rarely know what they are used for. Admit it, do you know what the ‘Num Lock’, ‘PrtSc’, ‘Ctrl’, ‘Fn’, or ‘Alt’ keys are used for? It is still rare for anyone to know the use or how to use all the keys on the keyboard.
In fact, knowing the functions of foreign keys on the keyboard is quite useful for our work, you know, one of which is the use of the Fn key. Well, this time Weblogue will discuss the functions and how to use the Fn key on the keyboard.
What is the Fn key and why is it on your keyboard?
The “Fn” on the “Fn” key stands for “Function”. The ‘Fn’ button is usually used to adjust the darkness of the computer screen or adjust the screen volume.
Also Read: How to Fix an all Laptop Keyboard Problem
The function of the “Fn” key is almost the same as the “Shift” button, where its use is usually combined with other keys on the keyboard. Like using the ‘Shift’ key to select uppercase letters or inserting certain symbols such as quotation marks (“), the ‘Fn’ key must also be used with other keys on the keyboard.
What is the function of Fn key in Keyboard?
Like the “Shift” and “Ctrl” keys, the “Fn” key has its own functions. However, it should be noted beforehand, the “Fn” button has different functions depending on the type of keyboard and laptop you have. Below are the most common uses for the “Fn” key that can be found on laptops or PCs.
Increase or Decrease the Computer Speaker Volume
Usually, we increase and decrease the volume via the speaker icon in the right corner of the screen, right? Well, besides using the mouse and shifting the volume settings on the screen, we can also use the Fn key.
Above is an example of an external keyboard image (additional keyboard), and you can see the Fn key is between the Ctrl key and the key with the Windows logo. As for the row of the F keys (F1-F10), at the bottom of the F key, there is a symbol.
Suppose you want to increase the volume, press the Fn button and without releasing it, also press the F9 button (because there is a speaker symbol and a ‘+’ sign at the bottom of the F9 button).
If you want to decrease the volume, you can press the Fn button at the same time pressing the F8 button (because in the image there is a speaker symbol and a ‘-‘ sign). This function can be different on different keyboards or laptops, depending on the symbols on the F1-F10 or F12 keys.
Turning off the Speaker
Besides increasing or decreasing the speaker volume of your laptop or computer, the Fn button can also be used to turn off the speaker volume (mute). Still using the keyboard image above as an example, to turn off the speaker volume, you can press Fn and F7 simultaneously.
Turn on MP3
Still referring to the image above, you can even turn on the music player on your computer. But this function returns to each keyboard, yes. With reference to the image above, you can press the Fn button at the same time as the F3 button.
There are many uses for the Fn key and they all differ depending on the symbols found on F1-F12. This time, we will describe the use of the Fn key based on certain laptop brands.
Use of the Fn key on certain types of laptops
Due to the different laptop designs, the Fn button function also follows the keyboard design according to the laptop brand. This time, Weblogue will explain a list of the functions of the Fn key on two laptop brands, namely ASUS laptops and Lenovo laptops.
Fn Key Functions on ASUS Laptops
- Fn + F1: Enter standby or sleep mode
- Fn + F2: Enable WiFi
- Fn + F5: Dims the brightness of the LCD screen
- Fn + F6: Brightens the LCD screen brightness
- Fn + F7: Activates the LCD backlight source
- Fn + F8: Switch to the LCD screen, external monitor, or TV
- Fn + F9: Turn on or turn off the “touchpad” function
- Fn + F10: Turns off the volume or mute switch (Windows only)
- Fn + F11: Decrease the volume (only available on Windows)
- Fn + F12: Increase volume (only available on Windows)
- Fn + Del: Enable or disable the “Scroll Lock” function
- Fn + Ins: Enable the built-in numeric keyboard
- Fn + V: Start a digital camera application and take a picture
- Fn + C: This button combination can change the screen to different color setting options.
Fn Key Functions on Lenovo Laptops
- Fn + Esc: Turn the camera on / off
- Fn + F1: Sleep mode or sleep mode
- Fn + F2: Turn off / on the screen backlight
- Fn + F3: Switch to the LCD screen, external monitor, or TV
- Fn + F4: Activate widescreen mode or return to normal mode
- Fn + F5: Turn on / off the device control interface
- Fn + F6: Turn on / off the touchpad function
- Fn + F8: Turn on / off the numeric keyboard
- Fn + F9: Play / pause (pause) music player / media player
- Fn + F10: Plays (play) or stops (stop) the media music player / media player
- Fn + F11: Skip to the previous track (media player)
- Fn + F12: Skip to next track (media player)
- Fn + PgUp / Scroll Lock: Activate / deactivate the “Scroll Lock” function
- FN + PrtSc / SysRq: Lock system requests
- FN + Up (up arrow) / down (arrow down) button: Adjusts the brightness of the LCD display
- FN + Right (right arrow) / left (left arrow) button: Adjusts the computer volume
- Fn + PgUp: Move the cursor to the beginning of the line
- Fn + PgDn: Move the cursor to the end of the line
- FN + Num Lock: enable / disable small numeric keyboard
That’s the function of the Fn button according to the laptop brand. Both lists are for reference only and if your laptop is not ASUS or Lenovo, you can check the Fn key function list on the official website of your laptop brand.
Apart from the type of laptop, the functions of the Fn key can also be different on an external keyboard. Usually, an external keyboard is used by PC users. For that, it is important that you are observant of the symbols that are under F1-F12.
That’s the discussion about the use or function of the Fn button. Hopefully informative and useful, yes.